Can’t stop getting angry?

Precluding predictable problems
Gabby
Site Admin

Post by Gabby » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:05 pm

If you frequently find yourself getting angry at your spouse or children or your parents then this tip will be value.

For this tip we'll agree that there are two types of anger:
  • 1) Anger that's what you say it's about. I.e. If burnt toast triggered the upset (and the upset is just about the burnt toast) then, when you express your upset and anger, it, the anger, is gone. Therapist Elizabeth Kubler Ross, On Death and Dying, wrote that genuine anger lasts seconds.

2) Anger that is triggered, say, by the burnt toast, but represents an accumulation of other upsets (other interactions) that have not been completed through to mutual satisfaction. This type of anger is characterized by dramatization; the anger is exaggerated, prolonged, and always abusive. The dramatization usually includes references to prior upsets always communicated irresponsibly from blame. The source of this anger gets carried forward into all future interactions.

In communication coaching jargon a person who is dragging around hundreds of incompletes (life's conversations that were not mutually satisfying) is said to be bound-up emotionally; they are unaware that they alone have been the source for all the breakdowns in communication between them and others. Those who hang around them are also doomed to a life of mediocrity with little or no joy and giggling. The premise being; an actualized person, one whose day is full of service, one who is whole and complete (acknowledged for all of life's perpetrations), flows through the various emotions daily—happiness, joy, fear, disgust, anger, apathy, uncomfortableness, confusion, sadness, etc..

With anger that pops up more and more frequently, perhaps you've noticed that trying to stop getting angry doesn't work; it simply causes your addiction to anger (yes, it is an addiction) to persist. Anger keeps popping up because you are not addressing the source of, the cause of, the anger. What’s worse, you've been making yourself wrong and often you apologize; both behaviors, making yourself wrong and apologizing, guarantees more of the same undesirable behavior. This same apology-mechanism kicks in for other addictions such as cheating or drinking. I.e. The lie most parolees tell Parole Board Members, “I’m sorry, I won’t do it again, I've learned my lesson.” absolutely guarantees that the behavior will be repeated (ergo, recidivism). What works is the truth, “I got that it didn't feel good to you. I don’t know if I can be trusted to not do it again.”

Your anger is your integrity at work; it’s the Complete-You reminding the Incomplete-You that you need to clean up something from the past. You’ve been dragging around an incomplete, a less-than-satisfying interaction leftover from an earlier incident, most likely when you were young.

An incomplete can be a withhold, an unacknowledged perpetration such as an abusive interaction (usually something during your childhood); often there's someone else who is also still incomplete, still experiencing the effects, the karma, from the incident, from how you communicated with him/her.

For example: If as a child you were yelled at, spanked, or hit for something (for anything) and the abuser has yet to verbally acknowledge (a batch of cookies don't count) that they know their reaction was in fact abusive, then you both are incomplete about that incident. I.e. In other words, if your parent didn't say, "Son, I get that my yelling didn't feel good. I know it was abusive" then you both are incomplete. Now add hundreds of other similar abuses perpetrated on you by others (usually one's parents) and you can begin to get a sense of how many incompletes (less than satisfying interactions) you’ve been dragging around into each present-day communication.

What completes any less-than-satisfying interaction is verbal acknowledgment (instead of unconscious denial), and, a mutually satisfying communication (with another or even with yourself (intra-personal communication).

Another example: If as a child you lied, cheated, or abused someone then your anger could be you reminding yourself to clean up an earlier perpetration. That is to say, your integrity won’t let you both achieve, and sustain, the experience of health, happiness, and prosperity until you clean up life’s perpetrations. In fact, you’ll keep setting up life to have others thwart you and you’ll continue to blame them instead of acknowledging that your integrity is out.

In short, you keep setting up life to get complete about incident #1, the very first incident/perpetration.

Here are two free communication processes that will support you in being whole and complete, in being in-integrity:

The first process: When you find yourself having expressed your anger abusively (in a way that didn't feel good to another), anger that got triggered by someone else, you must acknowledge your abuse to the abused. You must let them know as soon as you’re aware of the abusive communication. If you give another permission to let you know when a communication of yours doesn't feel good then you will arrive at choice much sooner.
  • For example: After yelling at your child you need to communicate: “I get that that didn’t feel good. I know that it was abusive.”
Notice that there is absolutely no make-wrong or apology. If you acknowledge each and every abuse (each time you notice that you’ve been abusive) you will soon start to experience uncomfortableness and embarrassment, and then upset, due in part because you were not aware of just how often you've been abusive and, that you still don’t seem to have a choice to not yell. Eventually, you’ll have the profound realization of just how abusive you've been to those you love. Once you start verbally acknowledging your abuses, your mind, to protect itself from knowing how abusive it's been, will stop acknowledging each and every abuse. Not to worry, your integrity will keep setting up life for others to bring to the front of your mind your addiction to abuse. As you would expect, no sane person, no one who is whole and complete, would choose to continue to submit themselves to more abuse, consequently, you’ll eventually drive him/her out of your life.

The secret to completing your automatic knee-jerk abusive reactions is not about trying to stop abusing but simply acknowledging it every single time. Eventually you’ll find yourself having memories of earlier and similar incidents (mostly childhood). These incidents, these incompletes, are the ones you need to share with someone (anyone).

It’s the sharing of an incomplete that completes it.

Soon you’ll find yourself being able to observe yourself in the middle of expressing anger but still not able to choose not to be angry, however, if you keep acknowledging your anger to the abused you’ll find yourself having choices right in the middle of an interaction.

The second process: The [free] Clearing Process. It’s about emptying your mind of all thoughts that presently serve as barriers to you consistently manifesting your stated intentions. It’s about you recalling and acknowledging life’s perpetrations so as to release the karma for each incident. It’s free and extremely powerful. The process supports you in restoring and maintaining your integrity.

Last edited 1/3/22

I liked this topic

You may select 1 option

View results