#27 How do I support boyfriend with his grammar?

Post a comment or ask a question about any of the new letters being considered as replacements for the less often viewed 50 Original Letters. See index of new letters
Gabby
Site Admin

#27 How do I support boyfriend with his grammar?

Post by Gabby » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:32 pm

#27 How do I support boyfriend with his grammar? / Unconscious request for help with problem of fear

Dear Annie: I have been dating a man in the radio industry for the last couple of months. Unfortunately, he often uses poor grammar. I am wondering if I should correct him. I believe he might sound more professional if he polished up on his speech. I also am concerned that when he sends audition tapes to other companies, his poor grammar may hurt his chances of getting a better job.

I don’t want to make him uncomfortable by correcting him all the time, so I am not sure how to go about this. Small Town Wisconsin Girl

Dear Wisconsin: There are professional voice trainers who work with those in TV and radio to help correct grammar and pronunciation, tone down local accents and smooth out the rough edges. Do some research, and then suggest to your boyfriend that he could benefit from having an expert critique his audiotapes. —Annie

Gabby's Reply

Hi Wisconsin: Two true-isms come to mind. "When you serve you are served" and, something all coaches know, "The problem is never what a client says it is."

I’m wanting to say that your boyfriend is fortunate to have you, however, your "wanting" to support him reveals unconsciousness and fear; therefore, your present leadership-communication skills will keep producing more of the same.

Re: "I believe he might sound more professional if he polished up on his speech." Your use of the words, "I believe" reveals your fear of knowing, of being right; it's inappropriate false modesty. Saying you believe, when in fact you know, is a lie. Both conscious and unconscious lies have undesirable results.

I'm thinking we should ask what motivates you to be dating someone with different values about education, presentation, etc.. Your fear will consistently produce less than desirable results, it supports him in producing more of the same mediocre results each day. Put another way, he can't grow with you in his life because it is your leadership-communication skills that attracted and rewards him. As you grow and learn about leadership so too will he grow but his growth will be about completing his addiction to thwarting those who try to support him. Notice your arrogance, thinking that what you call love will change him even though he has thwarted his own parents and teachers for years.

A more valuable question for you might be, "What is it about me and my leadership-communication skills that has not attracted an equal?" I truly love kittens but I know not to have one because of how much time it would take to train it. In other words, it's not necessary to marry everyone one you love.

Your letter is in fact an unconscious communication, a request for help with your own personal problem. While there's much to be said for selecting the path you have chosen, selecting someone with different values about education, it presents a similar set of challenges as would choosing someone from a different socio-economic standing or of another race. Could it be that you're dating him to make a statement, to be right about something—that you're more accepting, loving, etc.? Quite often someone addicted to changing/helping often chooses (more accurately, sets it up to be chosen) someone who appears to need even more help so as to draw attention away from his/her own problem, which invariably includes an unconscious commitment to enabling, to keeping others stuck in mediocrity. "Misery loves . . . " i.e. An apparent healthy spouse who turned his/her partner into an overweight couch potato.

An actualized woman, a fearless confident supporter, communicates spontaneously; she has no fear of testing a man’s supportability within the first few conversations "Here, let's sit at this booth." As such she attracts and dates supportable men.

An incomplete girl (an adult female) with unresolved childhood fears and anger, dragging around hundreds of incompletes) walks on eggshells and "tries" or "becomes stuck in wanting" to make suggestions. Because they unconsciously operate from decisions about control (such as, control is bad, accepting is good) they attract controllers/thwarters who tend to pooh pooh their ideas, their support. This is because the woman resists controlling when it's appropriate to control. Quite possibly you've already discovered that he resists support?

For example: An actualized woman who has mastered control communicates her standards, her boundaries, i.e. no badmouthing, no smoking/drugs, and no vulgar behavior in my presence. She does this mostly non-verbally, without saying a word; she commands respect via an aura of maturity and integrity. Such a supportive woman might also say, "Here, this color looks good on you." "Invite your secretary and her husband over for a barbecue." "Let's go see this play." All these are subtle supportive hints to a husband. The husband who listens and grants his wife permission to guide his career, diet, health, and continuing education, will have a rich, rewarding, and successful marriage. On the other hand, a woman who attracts/trains and rewards a controlling thwarter will blame her husband for invalidating and suppressing her genius. She succumbs to mediocrity; this costs her their aliveness, ultimately their health. Such a woman is more intent on being right, that, "He won’t listen," rather than telling the truth, "I don’t know how to get into supportive communication with my husband."

My friends, clients, and I practice a communication model in which we begin from the point of view that we are causing (intending, however unconscious we may be at the moment) what another is saying to us at a perfectly propitious time. Within our non-profit organization the agreement is unanimity on all votes. The apparent dissenter (possibly the only awake genius among us at the moment) is the one we all listen too as we are intending that person to have their specific point of view. Alignment is awesomely powerful. Buckling under to please others is covert sabotage. Quite often a football quarterback's play is unconsciously thwarted because they, the quarterback, couldn't sense (couldn't pick up on the non-verbal emanations), that the majority of his team members thought the play wouldn't work.

Here's an exercise: Imagine what you would have to learn/unlearn to be able to produce the following result. I want you to verbally issue advice to your boyfriend and then make sure he does not follow it, but do it non-verbally. Sounds ludicrous doesn't it? Yet that's what intention is all about. So far you have been intent on him sounding uneducated yet another day; we know this is true based upon the results your leadership-communication skills have produced. We see now that your want is just a want, it's only what you say you want. Your intention has been to have him be/sound less educated than you. One either manifests the results they say they want, their intentions, or they have their reasons and excuses (including fear).

Your question reveals that you have fear in your relationship. This fear is left over from an interaction in another relationship, most likely a breakdown in communication with with one or both parents. The fact that you are afraid to be spontaneous with your boyfriend about this topic means that you have fears about other subject matter. It is you who resists being "uncomfortable." Your boyfriend is unconscious else he would pick up on your uncomfortableness (and your non-verbal self-righteous judgmentalness) when he uses incorrect grammar. He's so unconscious he no longer can hear himself. For example: A conscious person can see that they just spelled a word wrong and they choose to ignore it, whereas an unconscious person can't even see that they spelled the word wrong.

What works is to find out if he wants to change. If it’s not a problem for him then you’ll have to decide to intend that he speaks that way—for life. You don’t have permission to change him. Wanting to change someone is not love.

For example: You say to him—"Your breath stinks." He replies, "Thanks," and he immediately brushes his teeth. The next day the same thing. "Your breath smells again. Is it all right that I mention it? Do you scrape/brush your tongue?"

Use the same procedure for:
  • You say, "It bothered me that you used the F--- word in front of my mother tonight, more so that you didn't hear yourself and acknowledge it to her." He replies, "Ouch, I didn’t even hear it." You say, "Do you want me to support you in acknowledging to her that you know you did it, and, to let you know if I hear you do it again?"
  • You: "I have something to say that’s uncomfortable for me to even think about saying. My thought is that it might upset you. Is this a good time? Yes? Thanks. It bothers me when I hear you use incorrect grammar. I find myself judging you and making you wrong. I intuitively know that others judge you about it. I don’t know how to handle it. Would you like support in speaking correctly? [If "yes"] I see two options; I could point it out and put in correction, but, you’d have to be willing to thank me each time I do it, else it will begin to irritate you. You will forget that you asked for my support and think of me as a nag; eventually you'll get extremely angry and tell me to stop correcting and trying to change you. This won't work for me. The other option is for you to enroll in a grammar class so as to cause your first grammar teacher (the one you have been unconsciously thwarting) to succeed. What say you about all of that?"
As always, at the beginning of a relationship you must be totally willing to not have it in order to have the relationship you say you want. If he doesn’t value your support it’s a sure sign that you have attracted someone still on the way down. If you have attracted an unsupportive person, they are in fact mirroring you. This leads to the saying, "When you serve you are served." Remember, almost all the "good" men have been rejected (read trained) by all of their previous female acquaintances. Your's might have to drive you away for him to discover that it doesn’t work to aim higher than ones education. Because of your willingness to serve (support) him you will be served. Keep in mind, you may be confronting embarrassment—that he will be a reflection upon you and your education/intelligence.

The fact that you have thoughts about wanting to change him is proof positive that he also is withholding thoughts about things he’d like to change about you. Withholders always attract withholders, there are no exceptions to this phenomenon. Withholds serve as barriers to the experience of love, in this case a breakdown in communication. To find out what thoughts he has been withholding from you ask him the following questions about ten times each: "What would you change about me?" "What behavior about me bothers you?" (Ask with intention to get past his politeness). Better still, invite him to do The Clearing Process for Couples with you but, you'll first have to do The Clearing Process yourself.

Another thing you can work on that will yield ten-fold value is to locate and complete your very first incident of fear of saying what was on your mind after which you lost your spontaneity. With coaching you will be able to recall the year, location, and the name of other person, and, what happened. You made an unconscious decision from that incident that runs you to this day. The conversations and realizations it will take for you to complete that incident, and all subsequent times you withheld your intuition, your support, and allowed/supported others (friends) in failing, will result in a transformation of you into a powerful supportive person.

Keep in mind, one cannot not support. All your friends who are failing are doing so as a result of your leadership-communication support skills. Some people use their support skills to cause others to succeed and others use their support skills (albeit unconsciously) to thwart thereby effecting mediocrity.

You'll get tremendous value doing the Preparing for Your Ideal Partner—a free online communication skills tutorial.

BTW: Your boyfriend has unconsciously set you up to support him in honoring his grammar teacher; presently he is unconsciously intent on thwarting that teacher. He's still dragging around a teen pattern of unsupportability. It could be said that you are back in high school and now have a conscious choice, to date, or not, someone who has a debilitating barrier to communication, to getting his teacher's communications. If you condone his commitment to ignorance you sabotage his teacher which most likely will continue to produce undesirable results for you—here's more about the effects of unconscious intentions. Thanks, great question. —Gabby

P.S. You'll know if you are supportable if this reply impacts you and your boyfriend. Do show him this letter.

P.P.S. If you continue to date him it's possible he will fail in broadcasting and then fall back on your income.

Check back occasionally for minor edits (lasted edited 11/18/11)