#10 Can I shun sister-in-law without upsetting fam

Post a comment or ask a question about any of the 50 Original Dear Gabby Letters. See index of the 50 letters
Gabby
Site Admin

#10 Can I shun sister-in-law without upsetting fam

Post by Gabby » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:44 pm

Dear Abby: My brother "Pete" is married to "June," an opinionated big-mouth who never has a kind word to say to anybody. She frequently berates Pete and other members of our family. This behavior is disturbing to the entire family, especially to our mother.

My other brother, "Seth," was sentenced to prison on drug charges. Our family has suffered a great deal of pain because of Seth, but we have found strength in our unity and have remained supportive of him. June, however, never misses an opportunity to express her hatred for Seth. She's completely insensitive to our feelings. Although she's Pete's wife, I don't consider her a sister-in-law because she does not behave like a member of the family.

I would like to write her off and never have any contact with her again, but I worry that it would upset my mother and Pete, and they don't need any more problems.

Abby, can you please advise me how to deal with June without starting a lifetime family feud? HAD IT UP TO HERE

DEAR HAD IT: Yes. Take June aside and tell her that the family needs her support right now, and to knock off her negative remarks about Seth because they are hurtful and not appreciated. If that doesn't put a stop to it, tune her out or limit your time with her. ABBY

Gabby’s Response:

Hi Had It: The problem is not June. Even if June dies your family will still have the same communication model that drove your brother away. Why? Because you are the ring leader. You are stuck in badmouthing and sabotage. You are the one going behind June's back, denouncing her to the country. There are consequences for such behavior.

Notice the lies in your letter.

"... who never has ..." Never?

"... never misses an opportunity ..." Never?

"...completely insensitive..." Completely? I doubt it.

"...they don't need any more problems." They sure do. They/you need to start creating a different set of problems.

There are consequences for lies, even the unconscious ones.

Notice that you don't tell the truth about your brother.

"...was sentenced to prison on drug charges."

A responsible statement would be,

"...in prison for doing/dealing drugs.

You imply that he's not guilty or at best, not responsible.

Picture if you will two rooms: In one room is a Zen Master standing with his hands folded peacefully ready to unconditionally love whomever comes through the door. And in the other room you are standing with a club raised over your head. Now visualize how June would react upon entering each room. She has no choice but to behave as she does with you because unbeknownst to you, you are a warrior, you communicate adversary without opening your mouth. It's an aura thing.

My advice? Keep doing what you've been doing. Drive her and Pete further out of your life until you create another similar problem, possibly then you'll begin to get a sense that you are the generator of these kinds of feuds.

You can make another kind of difference but you'd have to be willing to stop pretending that you are the peace maker. You'd have to give up your "nice act" and tell the truth in the moment. You'd have to be willing to stop trying to hold the family together. In other words, to bring about a transformation in your family, you'd have to be willing to not have all of them in your life. Your leadership-communication model breeds the kinds of problems you say you don't want.

You need 50 hours of counseling/therapy (by yourself) after which you will begin to get a handle on how to create the kinds of relationships you say you want. don't get counseling and things will get worse. I recommend that you start the healing process today by doing 10 clearings on The Clearing Process, one per day for ten days in a row (it's free and it works).

It's great that you reached out. You have the power to effect a transformation, for yourself and those who wish to come along.

Please show this post to all concerned.

Thank you, Gabby

PS. You are fortunate that June doesn't behave like the rest of the family. At some level she sees how you folks are responsible for "Seth's" condition, possibly it sickens her that she didn't see it before she married into the family.

PPS. Experience tells me that recidivism is partly linked to the fact that most parolees return to their families and friends who are still using the same leadership-communication model that supported them in not going straight in the first place. They leave prison somewhat rehabilitated but within a few conversations (yes a few) with their family they have undone the work done by the prison staff and they have automatically reverted back to communicating as they had before. In other words, it's quite likely that your brother will return to prison unless you get help for yourself. No one in your family can heal as long as they continue to relate/interact with you.

PPPS. You're right. June needs as much therapy as you and the rest but you must do it first because you're the leader. June is addicted to abusing and being abused else she never would have gone out on a date with your brother; his aura was such that a person of integrity (someone whole and complete) could have sensed the direction he was heading.

To comment press "post reply."