#16 Husband won't get vasectomy

Post a comment or ask a question about any of the 50 Original Dear Gabby Letters. See index of the 50 letters
Gabby
Site Admin

#16 Husband won't get vasectomy

Post by Gabby » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:04 pm

#16 Husband won't get vasectomy / Upset with husband's plans for widowhood

Dear Ann Landers: My husband and I have been married for 17 years and have two children, ages 16 and 13. We have agreed to not have any more children. I would like to enjoy a healthy sex life without the hassle of birth control and recently discussed methods of sterilization with my gynecologist. He explained that a vasectomy is far simpler than a tubal ligation and has fewer risks.

My husband adamantly refused to consider undergoing any kind of sterilization. The problem is not the surgery, he said, but if I should die, or our marriage should fail, he might want to seek out a younger woman and she might want children. This has led me to believe that he is waiting for me to reach the age of menopause before dumping me for someone who is younger. After that revelation, I can't even imagine having sex with this man. I'd like to know what you think about this, Ann C. IN K.C.

Dear ANN C. in K.C.: I think you've gone off the deep end with your assumptions. Please seek the intervention of a counselor, physician or good friend who will set you straight. Your punitive action is not warranted and could lead to real trouble. ANN

Gabby’s Response:

Hi Ann: You didn't say whether you asked him if he was actually planning your worst case scenario, however, I think you wouldn't believe him if he said he wasn't. I suspect that it's you who's had thoughts of a divorce and this is the only way you know how to share those thoughts with him. It appears you are setting it up for him to leave you, for "reasons," and then you'll blame him for leaving you. "Best years of my life.", "Look what you did to me." victim kinds of stuff.

You are fortunate to have someone who is willing to tell you the truth. As far as I know all intelligent people in magnificent relationships have these kinds of thoughts. Couples with good communications share the undesirable thoughts immediately so that they don't gather mass and get acted upon.

I sense there are other things underneath this that aren't being discussed. Him saving energy (resources) for another race doesn't sound like someone committed to winning this one. You'd do well to see if you are doing anything to drive him out of your life. He's probably very aware of your paranoia and therefore his thoughts are normal and practical. Therapy is in order for the both of you. If I were he I'd have to be willing to see that how I have been communicating is driving my wife nuts. There's lots of unhealthy control going on here. Thank you, Gabby

To reply or post a comment press "post reply."