#29 Boyfriend's drugs & gay phone-sex hobby

Post a comment or ask a question about any of the 50 Original Dear Gabby Letters. See index of the 50 letters
Gabby
Site Admin

#29 Boyfriend's drugs & gay phone-sex hobby

Post by Gabby » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:16 pm

Dear Ann Landers: For the last 18 months, I have been dating a man in his early 40s who has never been married. Things were going well until I discovered by opening one of his phone bills that he had been having phone sex.

It didn't seem to be all that bad until I started to call the numbers that appeared on the bill. They turned out to be gay party lines. Needless to say, I am in shock, not only because he had been making these calls but because the phone bill was over $700. This is a lot of money for a man who has told me repeatedly that he is on a very tight budget.

When I demanded an explanation, he claimed he was under the influence of alcohol and cocaine when he made those calls. I pointed out that the calls did not occur on just a few nights but over a period of several weeks. He also had obtained a feature that allowed him to get voice-mail messages from gay mails.

He keeps insisting that he is not bisexual and swears up and down that he will never touch drugs again, which he says, were the source of his erratic behavior. I was well aware that he drank, but I have never seen cocaine in his house. I feel very vulnerable and need your guidance. ARCADIA, CALIF.

Dear Arcadia: The facts speak for themselves. Most likely, this man is bisexual, plus he is an alcoholic and a drug abuser. Dump him at once. He is bad news. ANN LANDERS

Gabby’s Response:

Hi Arcadia: You have two main problems both stemming from fear. Fear of telling the truth and of being alone. No matter if you dump him today, which I doubt you will do, you still need therapy or you will continue to attract liars/alcoholics. It's you who do not know how to communicate in such a way as to be a safe space for a man to tell the truth and it's you who are addicted to alcoholics.

One way to have you both win, given you are equally damaged, is to get yourself immediately into a many sessions per month therapy program and, communicate to your friend that you'll be willing to talk with him only when he can say he's not had a drink or drug for six months straight. You both can use the time to get clear about sex. If it's meant to be you'll heal simultaneously whatever that looks like.

Also, use your therapy to get to the source of your sneaky (calling behind his back) deceitful behavior. Sneaky always begets sneakiness. —Gabby

To reply or post a comment press "post reply."